Tuesday 6 March 2012

What is my definition of Internet Privacy?

Recent weeks have created huge spirals in the ocean of internet world regarding internet privacy. Everyone has been talking about the issue and the way big giants collect and store user data in the online world.

I recently stumbled upon the White House's new document regarding consumer privacy on internet and stopped upon reading that users had a right to “reasonable” limits on the personal data that companies collect and retain. I could not help myself on thinking about the unlimited possibilities originating from the word "reasonable".

My Definition of Online Privacy. Image Courtesy of ZDNet.com
















For instance, it was reasonable if:
I was talking to a friend and no one was over hearing me.
I was in bed with my boyfriend and nobody was looking at me.
I was shopping and nobody was following me.
and much much more...

On the other hand, when I thought of internet, I would treat my privacy intact if and only if I was able to share the information that I wanted to disclose. Rather, than being forced to accept an agreement upon browsing any website telling me that my personal information will be collected, retained, used and never sold to improve my online experience.

It is my right to be asked before collecting any personal information from me regarding my location, interests and preferences and attempting to build my internet profile through collection of various browsing indicators originating from my source of usage. And if I do not want that information to be shared, I should be left alone. The way it genuinely happens in our everyday life. If I am not asked for that, that I consider as a breach of my privacy.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your post! People are really becoming habituated to loss of privacy on the Internet. We provide all kinds of personal information on the Internet that we would never give to strangers in real life.

    Check out my blog on Internet privacy issues too! http://www.netroamers.com/2012/03/1984-george-orwell.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug, contact me at when you read this. Thanks.

      Delete